Monday 25 February 2008

CV

CURRICULUM VITAE


Introduction

I know that employers generally prefer to look at a concise CV printed in black and white, without any first-person references. When applying for jobs, I send them just such a CV that occupies two pages, but with web links in blue. I thought about forcing the web links to be black, but decided that blue would probably be acceptable, since it is a widely recognized convention and photocopies reasonably well. A separate blog contains pictures of my Certificates.

The CV embedded in this blog doesn't follow that convention, but it is mainly designed for screen display.

Please note that as this blog is publicly accessible to anybody who finds it, some information has been withheld to protect privacy. Such information (postal and email addresses, telephone numbers, my national insurance number, names of references) will be made available to any prospective employer who requires it, assuming that I feel that I am capable of performing the prospective job to an acceptable standard.


CURRICULUM VITAE

Profile: Currently unemployed but keen to start working again in any capacity that I am able to fulfil, whether this utilizes my old skills or not.

Key skills: MS Word, EXCEL, HTML, CSS, internet.

Achievements
At work 25 years commercial computer programming experience using COBOL etc., detailed on next page.
While training I revised the WORDPERFECT course training guide
At home Website as blogs including how I set up those blogs
On Amazon My contributions on Amazon UK and Amazon USA
On radio I was interviewed on BBC Radio Leicester about my Amazon activities
In the news Five newspaper articles about Amazon and myself including two in The Times, one of them in February 2012. The other four articles appeared in November 2011. Those in the Daily Telegraph, the Guardian and the Leicester Mercury were full of lies and half-truths. The Times articles are only available online to subscribers. I have a print version of the 2012 article.
Part-time work In the summer of 2004, I sold raffle tickets and programmes at Leicestershire County Cricket Club on match days.
At home I practised Visual Basic extensively for several months.
Presentation In 2011, I attended a workshop at the Which? head office in London, discussing internet feedback issues. While there, I gave a presentation using MS Powerpoint.

"Flexible New Deal" placements (4 weeks)
 
2010 Sweep floors, etc, while others assemble flat pack furniture

"New Deal" placements (13 weeks)
 
2007-8 Preparing waste for recycling
2004-5 Assembling flat pack furniture

Training courses
Selective list
2010-11 SAGE computerised accounts
2006 CLAIT database
2005-6 Web design using HTML and CSS
1997 Business Administration using EXCEL,
WORDPERFECT, DBASE, LOTUS 1-2-3
1996 C programming
achieved City and Guilds certificate
1988 Outplacement (following redundancy)
1978 ICL 2900 IDMS
1978 ICL 2900 VME SCL
1978 ICL 2900 COBOL for 1900 programmers
1975 ICL 1900 DRIVER
1972 ICL 1900 GEORGE 3
1971 ICL 1900 PLAN for COBOL programmers
1970 ICL 1900 COBOL direct access (disk) handling
1969 ICL 1900 COBOL for beginners

Old computer programming skills and experience
Main skills
COBOL, RM-PANELS, UNIX/AIX, VME, IDMS, SCL, DDS,
FILETAB, DME, GEORGE 2, GEORGE 3, PLAN, DRIVER
Limited exposure
VISUAL BASIC, MVS, TSO, ISPF, DOS/VSE, VM/CMS, JCL,
VSAM, DRS, TME-TP, VAX/VMS, DBMS, ADRAM, ITS, TPL
Programming and related tasks
Conversion to a different computer environment
Maintenance and enhancement
New development
Rewrite programs
System testing and parallel running
Security, restart and recovery
Preparation of specifications and test data
Error detection and correction
Performance improvements to batch run times,
online response times and resource utilisation.
Keep documentation up to date
General office administration duties
Main application areas
Local authority, Life assurance, Financial, Manufacturing, Engineering.

Employment
Computer programming and related tasks
including general office administration duties
06/98 - 12/02 XKO (formerly CP) Narborough
12/89 - 02/90 Yellow Pages Reading
11/88 - 11/89 Somerset County Council Taunton
04/88 - 10/88 Crown Life Woking
02/88 - 04/88 London Life Bristol
06/87 - 12/87 ICL Reading
07/86 - 12/86 Ford Daventry
01/86 - 06/86 Black and Decker Spennymoor
05/85 - 12/85 Rothmans Aylesbury
06/84 - 03/85 Pirelli Southampton
02/84 - 05/84 Woolworth Rochdale
05/83 - 01/84 UK Provident Life Salisbury
02/83 - 05/83 Listmart Caernarfon,Bracknell
Waterlooville,Newbury
06/82 - 12/82 Powell Duffryn Basingstoke
02/82 - 06/82 ICL Bristol
06/81 - 12/81 The AA Basingstoke
06/80 - 05/81 Bath and Portland Group Bath
08/77 - 06/80 ICL Leeds
06/75 - 08/77 Gateshead Council Gateshead
03/73 - 06/75 ACS Feltham,Cricklewood
Watford,Maidenhead
08/69 - 03/73 Plessey Swindon
Bakery production line work
07/69 - 08/69 R and K Wise Swindon

School examinations

The College of Preceptors exams came a year before the first round of GCE and CSE exams. They were primarily intended as a trial run for those more important exams.

When the important exams came round, my summer examinations papers were submitted to both the GCE and CSE examination boards for marking. Winter papers were only submitted to the GCE board. Hence I was deprived of a CSE grade 1 in General English, their equivalent of English Language. As it took me three attempts to pass Physics at GCE, I have two CSE grades for that subject. I also have two grades for English literature although I never came close to a GCE pass in that subject as you can see from my final CSE grade of 3. Grade 1 was considered equivalent to a GCE pass. Meanwhile, I only took technical drawing once; despite obtaining a pass in the College of Preceptors exam, it really wasn't something I excelled at.

Education
Kingsdown High School
Stratton St. Margaret, Swindon
College of Preceptors English Language
Mathematics (passed with distinction)
Technical drawing
CSE (with grades) Mathematics
Chemistry
Geography
Physics
General English
Technical drawing
English literature
1
1
1
2, 1
2
3
4, 3
GCE 'O' Level English Language
Mathematics
Chemistry
Geography
Physics
GCE Additional 'O' Level Mathematics
Kingsdown School is now a technology college
Other schools
Chippenham Sheldon School formerly Boys' High School
Chippenham Ivy Lane Primary School
Chippenham St Paul's Primary School
Marshfield Church of England Primary School
Montrose Southesk Primary School
Mablethorpe Community Primary School and Nursery

Personal details
Name Peter Durward Harris
Location Leicester, England
E-mail via Blogger profile page
Born September 8, 1951
Transport Rail, bus and taxi; I never took a driving test, although I did take lessons.
However, as this page shows, I am willing to relocate for a quality job.
Interests Horse racing, music, non-fiction books, football, chess, BBC radio 5 live
References Two references from my XKO days can be supplied, plus
one reference from the internet feedback research project.

2 comments:

Trevor Bending said...

Peter
I'm not sure what the opposite of 'serendipity' is and don't know if you'll pick this up. However, unserendipitously (because I should be doing something else) I've just enjoyed reading peterdurwardharris16 and peterdurwardharris12.
I was reading a book review of Plundering the Public Sector by David Craig (the author, not the reviewer) as he is standing as an MEP candidate for Libertas as I am (if they got the application in in time).
I eventually clicked on Amazon's Top Reviewers (congratulations?) which ironically brought me to you.
We once almost passed within 14 years of each other - I worked for Ford in South Ockenden upto 1972 and declined the move to Daventry! - choosing to do A levels and eventually to go to University instead - so now I'm unemployed instead of a wealthy Ford pensioner. Well that's another long tale.
I've just had the bizarre experience of waiting 8 weeks for a 'CRB' check - and need another one to work elsewhere. (Meanwhile, illegal immigrants work a couple of miles away at Heathrow on forged documents running rings round our buffoons in charge).
Wish you all the best with your reviewing - perhaps you might in future get paid for it?
Trevor Bending

Peter Durward Harris said...

I don't get paid for reviewing but I do get offers of free books and music. Uusually I turn them down because they don't interest me, but I accept when I'm offered something interesting.

But I don't go actively looking for freebies. Too many would make them taxable and that would cause a whole other set of problems.

As for Daventry, I'd go back if there were work for me, but there's absolutely nothing else for me there. While I remain unemployed, Leicester beats a lot of the places I've been.